About the Opportunity
The application period for this position is now closed. Thank you for your interest!
Five Oaks Museum is hiring! As we get ready to reopen our building, we are looking to add a Visitor Services & Learning Coordinator role to our team. The VS&LC will welcome all guests who come to the museum and ensure they have an engaging and educational visit. You can view the full position description as a pdf here.
(Artwork by Pace Taylor, from Gender Euphoria: Contemporary Art Beyond the Binary)
About the Museum
Five Oaks Museum is an independent non-profit located on the Portland Community College – Rock Creek Campus on Tualatin Kalapuya land in Washington County, Oregon. As a local organization engaged in globally-relevant dialogues, we support the thriving cultural ecologies around us through guest curated exhibitions, learning programs, events, research, and the museum’s cultural resources, archives and library. After 65 years of centering Euro-American settler narratives, the institution was fundamentally reshaped in 2019. It now operates as a platform for multi-vocal, culturally embedded stories and as a sandbox for innovative organizational structures, all shaped around the museum’s core values of Body, Land, Truth, Justice, and Community.
The Visitor Services & Learning Coordinator serves as the first point of contact for all museum guests and as a facilitator for in-gallery learning during museum open hours. In addition to ensuring the visitor feels welcome and oriented in the museum, this role will also coordinate group scheduling, walk-in ticket and guest shop sales, and other museum systems related to visitor experience and learning.
Position in Organization
Reports to: Co-director Molly Alloy
Responsible for: May oversee 1-3 volunteers after onboarding
Location: Five Oaks Museum – PCC Rock Creek Campus
- Ensure all visitors are welcomed and supported in their museum experience, including overseeing walk-in ticket sales and checking in visitors for reservations
- Facilitate learning experiences in the museum, including guided tours and independent learning opportunities (training will be provided)
- Be available to answer visitor questions and connect them to resources as necessary
- Coordinate access accommodation requests with museum staff
- Schedule and facilitate on-site group tours and educational presentations as needed (training will be provided)
- Daily upkeep of the exhibition and visitor spaces
- Track inventory and oversee sales in the museum gift shop
- Coordinate sales and pick-ups of Museum at (Our Place) sets
- Advance the museum’s mission, vision, and values in the delivery of your work and interpersonal conduct
- Support membership and public support through excellent, informed customer service
- Assist with additional tasks as needed to foster overall health of the organization
Any combination of education, work experience, and lived experience that demonstrates your ability to thrive in this position is welcomed.
- 1-2 years of educator, facilitator, and/or program leader experience in a camp, school, community center, care center or other learning environment
- Strong skills in collaboration, self-reflection, and interpersonal (both written and oral) communications
- Comfortable working with groups of all ages and backgrounds
- Ability to articulate and demonstrate ongoing understanding of anti-racist and decolonial practices, as well as intersectional, liberatory ways of working
- Experience with point-of-sale (POS) systems, cash handling, and customer service
- General understanding and appreciation for Pacific Northwest history and culture
- Available to work during all museum open hours (currently set as Thursday through Saturdays from 11:30am–4pm)
- Bilingual candidates preferred
- Ability to pass a background check
- Our workplace operates in English, using Google Suite for shared documents, virtual meetings, and email. Proficiency in Google Suite required
- $25/hour, guaranteed 16 hours per week
- New employees earn 1 hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked, up to 40 hours of sick time per year
- Reciprocal Employee Attractions Pass (REAP) which provides free access for employee and one guest to 20+ regional cultural sites
This position is located at Five Oaks Museum on the Portland Community College – Rock Creek Campus, 17677 NW Springville Rd, Portland OR 97229. ADA parking and TriMet bus service are available to the museum. The museum building is accessible to ADA standards including entry ramp, power doors, and accessible restroom stalls. Physical workstations are designed for each individual’s needs and size-inclusive seating is present in meeting spaces; there are no stairs within the building. Disability justice is deeply within our values and enacting that beyond basic compliance is currently an area of focused growth for us.
We are committed to doing all that we can to support additional access needs throughout the interview process and within the position. To request accommodations, alternative formats of this application, or to contact us regarding issues with the application process, please call (503) 645-5353 or email email@example.com.
Applications must include a minimum of (1) a letter of interest tailored to this position along with (2) a resume and/or CV to be considered. Email your application materials and any other supporting documentation showcasing your fit for this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59pm PST on Sunday, October 9, 2022.
Once all the application materials have been carefully reviewed we will determine a few finalists for interviews. Applicants will be contacted by Tuesday, October 11th and informed if they are moving on to interviews or were not selected. Note that we will attempt to contact all applicants. In the event that applicant volume is too high, only those applicants being moved on to interviews will be contacted.
Interviews will be held Thursday, October 13th from 11am-1pm and Friday, October 14th from 1:30-3pm. Please indicate in your application email if you have any conflicts during these times.
Target start date for the position is the week of October 24th, 2022.